The three volumes of Vision and Realisation: a Centenary History of State Education in Victoria (the BIG red books) were published by the Victorian Department of Education in 1975.
Volume 1 was a history of the Department with numerous references to staff and various schools.
Volumes 2 and 3 were dedicated to short histories of each registered Victorian State School and some Secondary Schools. Schools were numerical within Region with the regions split between the two volumes. The indexes at the back of each volume were by school name referenceing the page number within that particular volume.
They were a wonderful set of books which can still be found in major libraries and genealogical societies.
Of course, Murphy’s Law meant you picked the wrong volume for your school of interest or you only had a School Number and had to search through every region – always frustrating!
So what is VAFHO’s gift to family & local historians?
You can download for free PDF files by school name or school number (or of course both!):
- Victorian Schools by Name [from vol. 2 and vol. 3 of Vision and Realisation]
- Victorian Schools by Number [from vol. 2 and vol. 3 of Vision and Realisation]
One of the ‘Aims & Purposes’ of VAFHO is: To promote and arrange easier public access to public records and record repositories throughout Victoria. The Victorian Schools indexes is yet another example of VAFHO providing better access to information for your research.
How to access these Indexes
The fully text searchable PDF files have been uploaded to VAFHO’s Google Drive. The link below will give you access to the files.
A few guidelines of what you are or are not permitted to do:
- You MAY NOT sell these files
- You MAY NOT charge for searches of these files
- You MAY NOT share the link to VAFHO’s Google Drive
- You MAY download and store these files on your society’s or your personal computer
- You MAY share the link to this Blog for other’s to access the link and the files
- You WILL ENJOY and BENEFIT from using these files!
More access to databases and indexes will be available to people coming to the VAFHO Family History Expo.
VAFHO – Victorian Association of Family History Organisations
eMail: Use our Contact Forms – Blog Contact Us OR Website Contact US
Postal Address: PO Box 52, Yarrawonga Vic 3730
Submitted on behaf of VAFHO: organiser of the VAFHO Family History Expo, Hamilton, 1 June 2019.